Sunday 2 December 2012

Lino cutting experience







what would I change?
The topic of this assignment was change – what would I most like to change about the world if I have the ability? After a conversation with the tutor, I had my final thoughts – I wanted to change human’s cruel behaviors of killing wild animals. I decided to design three posters with the fox as the theme. In which form should the fox be presented, a bloody corpse, a figure aimed at by a gun, or a lively posture?  I chose the last one, because I wanted to let the audience love them, show mercy to them and oppose the brutal and bloody killings by portraying their nature and beauty.

Final ideas
First of all, I drafted a few foxes on a sketchbook with a pencil in simple and smooth lines to highlight the beautiful gesture of foxes. Then I added some flowers as a background and determined the final draft after repeated modifications. After that, I copied those sketches on the lino with tracing papers and deepened them with a pencil. 

Making process
 After that, I copied those sketches on the lino with tracing papers and deepened them with a pencil. Then I started carving along the mark carefully with a pencil. After the caving was finished, I brought them to the printing room for printing. As there was only one machine in the printing room and there were a number of people queuing, each of whom wanted the lino to be produced in different thickness, so the machine was constantly adjusted and I could not accurately fix it at the appropriate pressure strength. Consequently, the result of the first test was not good – the color was uneven, the paint was either too much or too little, accompanied with other minor problems.

Making Process 2
There were not many people in the printing room when I did my second test, so I could adjust the paint and the printing machine little by little. I tried two colors – dark red and orange – on paper of different materials. This time I tried a lot of printing and most of which produced good results. Looking at the results of my own effort, I feel so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment